Monday 27 January 2014

Better to Try and Fail than "Fail to Try"?

I love reading about peoples successes, but I am always very curious why people never talk about their "failures", why is that?  This is always the "Golden" question for me, if you do not achieve the outcome you want, then the successful strategy for me is in your decisions you make instantly through “speed of evaluation”, “speed of change and speed of execution to move onto what's next!” Accept it never went as planned, its that simple, so move on, that "failure" is now in the past” I have had many failures personally in my life and always vocal about them, but I am someone who wants to "know" rather than ponder and wonder "what if I gave it a go"?, what would have happened?, it’s a choice of what you focus on. I prefer just to know outcome rather than not knowing.




Failure actually inspires others. Leaders must take risks. Even when they don't succeed, their courage can still make a difference. As an example in 1980, 18-year-old Terry Fox attempted to raise $1 million for cancer research by running across the entire length of Canada on a prosthetic leg. He ran 3339 miles before a relapsed cancer ended his quest. He lost his life, but his effort has inspired over $340 million in donations to date. His "failure" was hardly in vain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjgTlCTluPA (A must watch 8 minute clip)

Failure is better than regret. The times I've been denied an opportunity never felt as bad as when I've let opportunities pass me by. At least when we fail, we know. Not trying at all leaves us wondering. Avoid kicking yourself later by taking a leap today.





Failure reveals our ability. You'll never know how much weight you can lift until you reach an amount you can't. Trainers often refer to this as "lifting to failure." Pushing yourself as far as you can lets you know what's possible. By avoiding limits, you'll never reach your peak. The fear of failure stops us a lot shorter than failure itself. So keep going until nothing more is possible. Then celebrate what you've accomplished.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. “-Theadore Roosevelt


4 years ago I invested over £25k in an event in Connaught Rooms in London, 500 seated motivational event, I marketed the event very well, in fact I was in the centre pages of a football programme, the game was a Chelsea vs. Man Utd programme, my face and led a marketing campaign where I was on the LDR trains in London on marketing panels within the trains, I even created my own radio adverts. I invested so much time and effort into this project, including members of staff supporting me, because I believed, I had pictures in my mind not just of this event, but of all the events I would be doing over the next 10 year period.

Now wait for it, wait for it, no one came, never sold a ticket, but I still completed and went through with it. I remember people not looking me in the eye, they never knew how to react, I would say to them you are reacting the way we are conditioned to react, I exploded with passion shouting we plan the next event, what’s next I said? I ask, what did we learn from this experience? What is bigger and better than this one? We obviously went onto deliver in Windsor Castle few years later.



My message here is plan many steps beyond your current goals, I simply picked this event up and stacked it with rest of failure experiences and simply chose never to look at them again and simply walked forward to plan the next one, it’s a simple choice to condition your mind never to look back or focus on that experience again, I would feel cheated looking constantly at my past. Life is about focusing and moving forward, best part about the past, is that it is over. I will go to the grave an old man where I can say with every fibre of my soul, I gave it my best shot, ensure you give your best shot each and every day.




Never stop believing in yourself, I love accelerating people through my coaching programmes instantly, Inspiring people to believe in achieving your own dreams. How would you feel if you were achieving your goals 

www.steviekidd.co.uk or stevie@steviekidd,co.uk 


1 comment:

  1. Having just started this journey with you, Stevie, I'm totally blown away by your unique, 'matter-of-fact', calming approach to life's situations ... both the good and not so good!! Totally mesmerised by Terry Fox's heart rendering story - as you say ' a must watch!'. Certainly sharpens the 'blade of gratitude' & an exemplary lesson in humility.

    ReplyDelete